What is it?
The Ezidri Snackmaker is the smaller version of the Ezidri Ultra FD 1000 and is for everyday use for you and your family. It makes delicious dried fruits, roll ups, sweet and savoury snacks, muesli bars and potato chips, without preservatives. You wont believe how quick and easy these snacks are to make, since dried food is lightweight and saves a lot of space, it is easy to pack for those hikes, camps and the little one’s school lunches. It has soft touch temperature settings with virtual indications making it user-friendly for everyone. It comes with 1 mesh sheet and 1 solid sheet, 5 trays but is expandable to 15 trays and takes up to 10 trays of puree for roll ups at a time (340mm diameter). It was designed and developed in New Zealand by a company called Hydraflow, and is a result of years of manufacturing experience. It incorporates a unique heated airflow pattern, which saves a lot on electricity.
The Ezidri Snackmaker made with the highest quality standards with food grade ABS plastic.
How to use it?
The snackmaker is very easy to use – you simply remove the trays placed between your top and bottom tray, place your fresh produce on the trays, return the trays and stack them from the base to the top. Then select the temperature that is best for the fruit/vegetable that you are drying. Herbs and spices dry best on low, fruits and roll ups at medium heat and meats and bakes at high. When dehydrating smaller items like strawberries it is recommended to use the mesh sheets, these will keep them from falling through the holes of the tray. For liquid items such as purees, use the solid sheet. To avoid the puree from sticking down, rub a little oil. Most batches will take between 8-12 hours to dry, depending on how dry you prefer them to be.
What can it do?
Apart from the health benefits that come with from making your own dehydrated snacks such as retaining vitamin A during the drying process, the food might taste sweeter but calorie value doesn’t change. Dried fruits and vegetables have a lower fat content. There is a wide variety of what you can make with your dehydrator. Here are a few of my personal suggestions.
One of my guilty pleasures – they always seem to be the healthier option but the supermarket version is unfortunately loaded with food colouring, preservatives and a lot of excess sugar. Plus store bought muesli bars are quite expensive, one could easily spend R100 a week on them, maybe more. Dehydrating from home saves money and allows you to prepare a healthier version of any muesli bar. You can play around with different fruit combinations as you are not limited to the flavours available at the shops.
These are the perfect snack, especially if the munchies hit you often. You cut up bread into squares, sprinkle some seasoning (for the seasoning, try a mixture of olive oil, garlic powder, a pinch of salt and dried parsley) and place in your dehydrator. When they are ready put them in an airtight container or plastic bag and place them in the fridge. They are excellent for both summer and winter. In summer just add them in a fresh green salad. In winter they are absolutely delicious with a hot cup of soup.
To make powders, place the vegetable or fruit of your choice on the dehydrator, and once they are dry and have cooled down, grind them into a fine powder and store in an airtight container. Whenever necessary, you can add a scoop of the fruit powder into porridge or a protein shake, and the vegetables into soup or bread to give it that beautiful colour, flavour and extra nutrients.
With an Ezidri Snackmaker you can finish any projects that needs drying. Not only will it dry clay and paper mache projects but it will also help with projects that use glue and need to dry quickly, dried flower arrangements and anything else that needs warming or drying just remember to set the drier at the correct temperature for each project that you are working 0n.
This occurs often in most homes, especially after a huge get together or party. A lot of food is left over even after the neighbours and friends have taken their share. The rest is either refrigerated or throw out. What a waste! With a Snackmaker you can preserve the excess (soups and sauces), and when you need them, you just place in water and let stand or 2-4 hours and they will reconstitute perfectly.
- A Snackmaker allows room for trays to be expanded from 5 to 15 trays and takes up to 10 trays of puree compared to other dehydrators that have a fixed number of trays.
- It 34 cm’s in diameter saving you space when it comes to storage.
- It has an adjustable heat control that allows you to choose which range from low, medium and high.
- It has a round design that allows air to circulate compared to a square design, which traps air in corners.
- Air is forced horizontally across each individual tray ensuring that there is no cross contamination of smell (etc drying an onion and apple at the same time). Other dehydrators spread air evenly, carrying the smell of each food item. This would therefore take longer and waste more electricity, as each food item (e.g. fruit, veggies, flowers) would have to be done separately.
- No tray rotation necessary. Due to the air circulation system it has air reaches all the trays evenly saving you time on having to rotate the trays.
- You can preserve food with adding any preservatives.
- Dehydrated food is very light and easy to store compared to fresh fruits and vegetables that spoil easily. This way you can keep fruits and vegetables that go out of season for longer, and even until they are next in season(if enough are dehydrated). Generally dehydrated foods weigh up to 80 % less than what they did before, which makes it so much more convenient for those who hike and travel.
- Dehydrated foods have a shelf life of up to 2 years compared to fresh fruit which barely last two weeks.
From a health perspective
Most of the dehydrated snacks sold in shops have additives and preservatives. Preservatives are designed to protect food from spoiling but usually have an adverse reaction when they enter the body. Here are some of the problems caused by preservatives.
Behavioural changes- especially among children, there is an increase in hyperactivity by causing major temper tantrums and disruptive behaviour, children lose concentration and they find it hard to fall asleep.
Heart – Research shows that food preservatives can weaken the heart in the long run, even if the effects do not show immediately.
Cancer- Preservatives have the ability to change when ingested and become carcinogenic after digestion, e.g. nitrosamine interacts with the stomach and gastric acids to create cancer forming agents.
Sodium Benzoate -this chemical can damage mitochondria in cells, which can lead to neuro-degenerative diseases.
Propyl-Gallate- This is used as a stabiliser in packaged meat, candy, potato chips and baked goods. This preservative causes prostate inflammation, tumours of the thyroid, brain and pancreas.
5 Trays 1 Mesh + 1 Solid Sheet and a recipe book/instruction book.
Its very economical to run and extremely safe
No tray rotation necessary due to the heated airflow movements and pattern
High manufacturing standards and quality materials guarantee years of reliable services.
Easy to clean- simply wipe with a soft damp cloth.
Very quiet running
Excellent for a raw food diet
Recommended dehydrator accessories