What better way to snack throughout out the day than with healthy homemade croutons? Making them is pretty simple and if you make them yourself you are assured that they are fresh and preservative free. Croutons go well with salads, soups, big lunches and family gatherings. This recipe is raw-friendly, absolutely delicious and will satisfy that ‘crunchy’ craving in a health way.
What you will need
- 2 cups almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 a teaspoon salt
- 8 garlic cloves, grated on a razortech grater
- 1/2 a cup chopped mixed fresh herbs ( i.e. parsley, rosemary and thyme)
- 1/2 a cup of water
- Using a food processor crush the almond until they become a fine powder. Add pepper and salt ( the amount of salt added is dependent on your taste buds, you might need to add more than or less than the suggested amount ) and pulse for 30 more seconds. Add the herbs and garlic and process until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Using a spatula scrape the mixture from the sides of your processor. Add the water through the feeding tube and switch on the machine. Stop the machine and scrape off any mixture on the sides. Start again and pulse until the mixture is thick
- Scoop the mixture into your piping bag
- Pipe onto a dehydrator solid sheet
- Dehydrate the croutons for between 24-48 hours. The longer you dehydrate them, the crunchier they will be. Once ready, remove and store in an airtight container.
- Serve with a fresh salad in summer. In winter serve with soup.