- Soak unhulled buckwheat seed overnight.
- Sprout in a sprout bag until the root is about 5mm long. When sprouting, rinse regularly. It can take quite a number of days to sprout. I nearly threw them out thinking nothing was happening.
- Put about 2-3cm of compost-rich soil onto a container. I used a round plastic tray used for party finger snacks (ideal size and depth) another option is a large plastic plant saucer. Whichever, buy two to use one as a lid.
- Pour the sprouted buckwheat seed onto the soil and water (not too much as there is no drainage).
- Cover with the second tray turned upside down over the seed tray.
- When the plants have pushed the tray up about 2cm you can remove the top tray.
- Make sure the tray is kept moist, it has plenty of light and good ventilation.
- When the leaves are well developed and the stems are long cut and enjoy your buckwheat lettuce in salad or in your green juice.
Buckwheat Lettuce How to grow it