In years gone by I used to get seed from Europe where Kohlrabi grows sooo well and we used to grow it as part of our discovery of new vegetables. I have not grown it for years as you never see the seed, but I do buy it whenever I see it. I have just bought 4 bulbs and immediately went onto the internet to see whether you can eat Kohlrabi raw. I was delighted to see that kohlrabi can be prepared in a number of raw food dishes.
My usual method of preparing it was to cook it in the pressure cooker, then to peel the course outer covering off, cut it into cubes and cover it with white source and grated cheese. Since I now prefer raw and have cut the milk and cheese, this recipe was a perfect solution for my raw kohlrabi.
Literally meaning German Turnip it is crisp when raw and has the flavour of slightly sweeter broccoli stem. This is a very popular vegetable in German speaking countries but is also eaten in India.
Kohlrabi is a
KOHLRABI and CHINESE CABBAGE SALAD
- 2 medium kohlrabis, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (if the leaves are young chop them up finely)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Chinese (Napa) cabbage
- 60g mange tout, chopped
- Optional: Chilli in dry or fresh form. (I used a little bit of the hot paprika)
- 1/4 red bell pepper, cut into fine julienne about 1 inch (2.5 cm) long
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil – I chose to use organic avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (these type of recipes traditionally use toasted seed but I prefer the raw)
- 1 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 cm piece ginger, peeled and grated
- About ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- Dash of rice vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Black sesame seeds for decor
- Combine all the ingredients, except the black sesame seeds, in a large bowl and toss well to distribute the seasonings evenly.
- Transfer to an attractive serving bowl or platter and garnish the top with the black sesame seeds.
- This salad is best if made a few hours before serving to allow the dressing to penetrate the vegetables.