If you are still drinking tap water you possibly still trust the authorities that supply your water. South Africa used to be one of the few countries where you could safely drink the water out of the tap but with so much deterioration in services over the past number of years, can you be sure that the water is still safe AND healthy to drink? Well there is one thing that I can tell you. I never believed that I would ever drive on such disgustingly potholed roads in South Africa. I would be ashamed to escort foreign visitors around. It is a known fact that there are numerous municipalities that are bankrupt. These are the departments that you are trusting with the water that you drink. The 70% that makes up your body.
The inside of a municipal water pipe
You might be thinking, I have been drinking tap water all my life and I am just fine. Well I challenge you to drink filtered water for a month and then to switch back to tap water and see how your body reacts.
Just think about it. The water that you drink is made safe by the addition of chlorine. Did you know?
- Chlorine is a known carcinogen? (a substance capable of causing cancer in living tissue)
- There is chlorine residue left in the water
- Chlorine kills bacteria (good and bad) What good bacteria could it be killing in your body?
- When chlorine acts on bacteria it produces secondary substances called trihalomethane. This is the awful smell of chlorine you smell when you flush the toilet. It is from carcinogenic substances like bromoform, chloroform
- Chloroform is almost definitely a carcinogen. It used to be used as an anasthetic. Fatal oral dose of chloroform may be as low as 10 mL (14.8 g), with death due to respiratory or cardiac arrest. Wiki
- Bromoform can be absorbed into the body by inhalation and through the skin. The substance is irritating to the respiratory tract, the eyes, and the skin, and may cause effects on the central nervous system and liver, resulting in impaired functions Wiki
Tap water varies from town to town with some towns seeing worms in the water and high levels of heavy metals. I personally take all this seriously since a pharmacist told me many years ago that they stock up with diarrhea medication in the spring because the demand is so high after the first rains. Polluted water is the cause.
How to choose a water filter
When you decide that a water filter is an investment in your health, there are a number of factors to consider. Firstly, how much you are willing or able to invest and secondly what level of filtration you require.
I personally have selected to have two systems. The AlphaAqua Big Blue whole house system that will filter all the water coming into the house. This means that I shower and bath in filtered water, can safely swallow the water after cleaning my teeth and can drink water from any tap in the house. In addition I use a water ionizer for my drinking and cooking water and water for the kettle. The Biontech water ionizer produces water of different pH values from 3.5 to 10.5 which allows me to drink alkaline water and to clean my house and preserve tofu and other products with the acid water.
Do yourself a favour and buy a water filter now. Take a look at the complete range offered by Healthmakers